Who We Are

Arts Are Elementary works in partnership with local schools to provide every public pre-K-5 classroom in Brunswick with professional artist residencies and have been doing so since 1980. We also provide opportunities for the broader community to engage with art.

Arts Are Elementary is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization, funded by donations.


Board and Staff


Lydia Swedberg, Co-Chair & Interim Treasurer

Anna Visco, Co-Chair & Interim Treasurer
Cristina Ustaris, Secretary

Debbie Atwood

Kathy Koerber

Jenny Mueller

Ruth Thibobeau

Elizabeth Verrill

Brad Williams

Amanda Zimmerman


Jennifer Burns Gray, Executive Director



Arts Are Elementary is grateful for the financial support it receives from the Town of Brunswick and the School Parent Groups, Community for Coffin and the Stowe Community Group.


This funding covers 59% of the cost of the residencies. The price of the professional artist residencies is $16.36 per student, enabling us to reach all 1,100 elementary students. We depend on local businesses and individuals to provide the remaining 41% of the needed financial support.

Funding has also been provided by the Maine Humanities Council and the National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) as part of the Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act economic stabilization plan of 2020. The Nathaniel Davis Fund has also provided funding to support the 5th grade residency in 2020-2021.


Every donation matters. Please consider supporting this work by making a financial contribution.

DebGraph 4 4 19 (1).jpg
Elly 10.jpg
Elly Image adjusted.jpg

Artist Advisory Board

The Artist Advisory Board provides artistic guidance for our events and residencies and helps us strengthen our connections to the artistic community.

Jared DeSimio
Richard Keen
Mark Little
Bronwyn Sale